The Ultimate List of Email Marketing Statistics: 234 Game-Changing Stats
Ever find yourself asking if email marketing is really worth it?
You’re not alone. When you aren’t getting the results you want, you might be tempted to give up. That’d be a huge mistake. Email marketing is worth it. Think we’re biased? Then it’s a good thing you don’t have to take our word for it.
Below you’ll find a whopping 234 stats from across the web to win over even the most jaded marketer. If you’re having doubts, need a boost of confidence, or just want insights into your industry and market, this is the place to start.
Thanks to Kim Stiglitz of Campaign Monitor for putting together this brilliantly categorized list. Here are some of our favorite email marketing statistics …
- Personalized email messages improve click-through rates by an average of 14% and conversions by 10% (Aberdeen)
Email is 40 times more effective at acquiring new customers than Facebook or Twitter
- For every $1 spent, email marketing generates $38 in ROI (Campaign Monitor)
- 4.24% of visitors from email marketing buy something as compared to 2.49% of visitors from search engines and 0.59% from social media (Monetate)
Outbound Engine’s compilation does a great job of showing the importance of creating optimized email campaigns. For example, did you know …
- You have just 3-4 seconds to grab your reader’s’ attention and interest them enough to open and read your email (Litmus)
- In Q1 2014, more email was opened on iPhones (38%) than all desktops combined (34%) (MovableInk)
- Emails with social sharing buttons increase click-through rates by 158% (Nonprofit Hub)
- If an email does not display correctly, 71.2% will delete it immediately (BlueHornet)
Capterra’s ever-expanding stat list proves it: Not only is email marketing alive, it’s thriving. Here’s some of the most interesting data …
- Email is the top source of analytics data for marketers, with 41% using their email marketing performance data (Forbes)
- The top three uses of email marketing are newsletters (66%), promotional content (54%), and welcome series emails (42%) (Pardot)
- 247 billion emails are sent every day. This equates to one email every 0.00000035 seconds (Email Marketing Reports)
Salesforce outdid themselves. With data from agencies like Adestra, Earnest, and Chadwick Martin Bailey, you know you’re getting quality information. For example …
- 44% of email recipients made at least one purchase last year based on a promotional email (Convinceandconvert.com)
- For B2B companies, subject lines that contained “money,” “revenue,” and “profit” performed the best ( Adestra)
- 64% of people say they open an email because of the subject line (Chadwick Martin Bailey)
- Subject lines fewer than 10 characters long had an open rate of 50% (Adestra)
15 Email Statistics That are Shaping the Future
These must-read email marketing statistics by Convince & Convert’s Jay Baer will have you scrambling to update and improve your campaigns. Here are some of our favorites …
- 30% of subscribers change email addresses annually (Convinceandconvert.com)
- 69% of email recipients report email as Spam based solely on the subject line (Convinceandconvert.com)
- If marketers optimized their emails for image blocking, ROI would increase 9+% (Convinceandconvert.com)
- Email lists with 10% or more unknown users get only 44% of their email delivered by ISPs (Convinceandconvert.com)
These eye-opening statistics from Hubspot will give you valuable industry and market insights. Here are a few notable examples …
- 76% of email opens occur in the first two days after an email is sent (Alchemy Worx)
- Only 11% of emails are optimized for mobile (Equinux)
- 17% of marketers don’t track or analyze email metrics for their organization (MEC Labs)
You’ll need to provide your email address for these stats, but they’re worth it. Emma provides some of the most unique and insightful email marketing data. For example …
Nurtured leads make 47% larger purchases than non-nurtured leads (The Annuitos Group)
- Subscribers that receive a welcome note show 33% more long-term brand engagement (Chiefmarketer.com)
- Adding video to your email campaigns can increase click rates by 300% (Wistia)
This Entrepreneur article shares more than just stats, it shares actionable insights. Here are some of the most interesting …
- It’s estimated that 91% of consumers check email at least once a day on their smartphones (Email Monday)
- At 33% less cost than other lead-generating mechanisms, emails generate 50% more sales (Hubspot)
- Email offers a 17% higher conversion rate than social media (McKinsey)
Need to convince someone that email marketing is worth the investment? Look no further than this Litmus article, where you’ll learn that …
- US marketing executives believe email alone drives the same amount of revenue as their social media, website, and display ad efforts combined (The Relevancy Group)
- 72% of consumers choose email when asked, “In which of the following ways, if any, would you prefer companies to communicate with you?” (MarketingSherpa)
- Email marketing was the biggest marketing channel on Black Friday, driving 25.1% of all transactions (Custora)
According to this Pardot article, “Email is here to stay.” If you ever doubted that, you won’t for long. Did you know …
- The top three most effective emails are mobile optin-ins (76%), birthday emails (75%), and transactional emails (74%) (Pardot)
- The top three metrics used to track email marketing success are click-through rates (47%), conversion rates (43%), and click-to-open rates (38%) (Pardot)
- Marketers rank the 3 most critical aspects of an email as email content and design (79%), campaign management (74%), and contact management (74%) (Pardot)
Two Final Statistics to Transform Your Email Marketing
There you have it.
If you want to engage your market, you need a killer email marketing campaign. And if you want a killer campaign, you need the most powerful tools. That’s where we come in.
Before we wrap up, let us leave you with two final stats…
Reply’s email marketing solution can save 5-10 hours of work every week and increase your response rate by as much as 250%.
Sound too good to be true? Try us.