Our choice – automating image personalization with a custom script
Back in 2017, when we first started experimenting with image personalization, we couldn’t find a perfect solution to fit our needs. As a result, the easiest and fastest way for us to have the project running was just to build a custom script from scratch.
If you’re looking for maximum flexibility and have specific needs, you can take the same approach. Just talk to your developers (or hire a freelancer) and ask them to create a script that will do exactly what you need.
How does that custom script work?
Here’s a typical workflow:
- The script connects to Google Spreadsheets,
- grabs the required fields like Company Name, Website, Email, First Name, etc.,
- generates an image based on the provided blueprint,
- saves it to cloud storage,
- and moves on to the next one unless there are additional rows in a spreadsheet (see the diagram below).
All in all, this is by far the only approach that allows you to make your workflows as complex as you want and tailor them to your needs.
For example, you can send API calls to a lead generation and data enrichment services to get additional data points, call Clearbit logo API to get the company’s logo, analyze its primary colors using additional 3rd party libraries and even save prospects to your sales engagement platform in order to fully automate the process. The only limit is your imagination, I’d say 🙂
Pricing: from $0 to ∞
- It’s a sustainable approach: you can build the script once and use as long as you need to
- You can precisely adjust the image blueprint as you see fit and A/B test it
- You can also use additional datapoints or fields that other services don’t not provide at all.
- It might take additional resources from your development team or a freelancer
- You will need to support the infrastructure in the long run
- There’s always a chance that something won’t work as you expected (e.g. the storage is full of old images, 3rd part libraries aren’t accessible, etc.)
Regardless of the tool or approach you choose, personalization should be a cornerstone of your outbound strategy. It can make your outreach humane and warm, allowing you to treat each one of your prospects as a person, not just another CSV row or CRM contact, even if you’re using automation platforms to scale your efforts.
Talking specifically about personalized images, it’s also a great tactic to get creative and grab the prospect’s attention with catchy visuals. You can complement these tools with quality graphic design software to really wow your target audience.
Give it a try and you will be amazed by the results ⚡️